title="Ketton Parish Council in Rutland">

Local History

Ketton is a village and civil parish in Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is about 8 miles (13 km) east of Oakham and 3 miles (5 km) west of Stamford, Lincolnshire. The 2011 Census recorded a parish population of 1,926, making it the fourth largest settlement in Rutland, after Oakham, Uppingham and Cottesmore.

Ketton gave its name to the Ketton Rural District of Rutland which existed from 1894 to 1974. Ketton ward, which also includes the parishes of BarrowdenTinwell and Tixover has two councillors on Rutland County Council.



Ketton was originally Chetene meaning "on the banks of the River Chater". It was originally three separate settlements: Ketton, Aldgate and Geeston; but as they grew they merged to form the village that Ketton is today.

The village has a post office and general store, a library, two pubs (the Railway Inn and the Northwick Arms), a flower shop, a sports centre, a playschool and a Church of England primary school. The village has two churches (Church of England and Methodist).














    Railway Inn and Lychgate to Church 1895             Railway Inn and Lychgate to Church 2002


The earliest parts of the Church of England parish church of St Mary the Virgin are 12th century. The church has a central tower and spire. The west front is an example of late 12th century transitional architecture and the remainder of the church is mainly 13th century. The nave was restored under the direction of George Gilbert Scott in 1861–62 and the chancel under the direction of his pupil Thomas Graham Jackson in 1863–66. Jackson's chancel roof was painted by Ninian Comper in 1950. The stone is from Barnack. There are Ketton headstones in the churchyard; one by the lychgate depicts mason's tools and is by stonemason William Hibbins of Ketton. William Hibbins built Hibbins House, which is still standing today.


Robert of Ketton was the first person to translate the Qur'an into Latin. The translation was complete by 1143.



Rutland Historical Society have produced a very interesting guide around Ketton. To view please access the link below:

 userfiles/Ketton village walk - RLH&R Society.pdf



The village gives its name to Ketton Stone, a limestone which is quarried locally and is used in many buildings in the village and elsewhere. Some areas of former quarrying are now a Site of Special Scientific Interest, maintained by Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust.The limestone is used to make cementKetton Cement Works opened in 1928 and by November that year the number of staff had risen to 250. The plant owned by Hanson Cement (now part of Heidelberg Cement) meets more than 10% of the UK demand for cement.


Village Of Stone 

 A 1950s promotional video by Perkins of Peterborough shows a much quieter village of Ketton, and how cement was produced at that time in the Ketton Cement Works.  

Notes to the Video

In the quiet village of Ketton, Rutland, with its 13th Century Saxon Church, lives Rutland's largest industrial works, The Ketton Portland Cement Co Ltd. The men and infrastructure at the Ketton Cement Works produce their high quality cement from limestone and clay. The company's own trains transport the product to different parts of the works, and are then hoisted and tipped into large vats. Perkins P6 and R6 engines power the transport fleet for the bagged cement to its buyers, including Perkins themselves. Perkins used Ketton Cement at their Eastfield Headquarters at Peterborough on their extension.

The first part of the video focuses on Ketton and the second part on Frank Perkins as High Sheriff of Huntingonshire and Cambridgeshire which shows an interesting glimpse of life in the 1950s.




In 2004 Rutland County Council planning committee resolved to approve a planning application for one wind turbine on land adjacent to the cement works off Steadfold Lane in Ketton. However, issues surrounding fast jets flying from RAF Cottesmore meant that a planning permission was never granted.